http://conjoinedcyclopes.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

 

breakfast

I work near the top of a 30-story building. It's one of the tallest buildings in my part of town, and the view out my window, to the west, is completely unobstructed. There is a fairly large park directly across the street, and a lot of greenspace in the vicinity. The view to the north, of the city's downtown, is pretty cool, but mine is a hell of a view in its own right.

One thing I see fairly often is a hawk gliding past, maybe circling the park. Saw another one this morning, except this one had a little rodent in its talons! It flew off toward the west end of the park, then circled back my direction and veered off to the south. I'm guessing it was looking for a secluded rooftop to have its breakfast.

Or maybe it's providing for its young. Probably not. Do hawk parents feed their babies scraps of rodent? Seems wrong, somehow, but I'm sure it's not.

UPDATE:

Well, I did 2.7 minutes of Internet research and learned that the Cooper's hawk (which was not the type of hawk I observed this morning) produces offspring in the spring months, and that it feeds its fledglings lizards, snakes, and mammals. No worms or bugs for baby Cooper's hawks, it seems.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?